With La-Z-Boy and Leggett & Platt both located in the region, Missouri’s southwest is – literally – a comfortable place to do business! The 7-county area, known for its nationally-ranked low cost of living, also boasts an outstanding transportation infrastructure. Located at the crossroads of I-44 and the newly designated I-49, the southwest region provides easy shipping to both U.S. and Canadian markets.
Joplin, the area’s largest city, made national news in 2011 when an F-5 tornado destroyed many of its business, and again a year later when most of those businesses were rebuilt, making it one of America’s most notable comebacks.
Southwest Missouri’s businesses benefit from statewide strengths:
- Low business costs and taxes
- An above-average, below-market work force
- A low cost of living
- A strong transportation network
- U.S. highways 60, 71 and 160; Interstates 44 and 49
- Class I rail via KCS and BNSF
- Regional airports